“Chinese Government Scholarship-Bilateral Program” refers to the full scholarship or partial scholarship offered by China according to the educational cooperation and exchange agreement signed or the consensus reached by China and relevant state governments, organs, institutions and international organizations.
I. Supporting Categories
The supporting categories include undergraduate students, master’s students, doctoral students, general scholars and senior scholars. Consult the dispatching authorities of your home country for specific information.
II. Handling Agencies and Deadline
Application handling agency: the dispatching authority of your home country.
Time of application: generally from early January to March 30. Please consult the dispatching authority of your home country for the specific time.
III. Supporting Details and Criteria
The scholarships include full scholarship and partial scholarship.
Annual Total Allowance
Notes: Category I includes: Philosophy,Economics, Law, Pedagogy, Literature (excluding Arts), History, and Administration; category II includes: Science, Engineering, and Agronomy; category III includes: Literature (Arts), and Medicine.
1. Full scholarship
●Tuition: including the fees spent in cultivating and managing scholarship students, as well as in organizing or supporting the scholarship students to conduct cultural and sports activities, visits and parties, etc.
●Accommodation: namely, to provide free accommodation for Chinese government’s scholarship-winning students or grant them accommodation allowance. As for the students who live inside campus according to the university’s regulations, the university will provide them with free dormitory, which will generally be double bedrooms; as for the students who choose to live off campus with the permission of the university, they are entitled to a monthly or quarterly accommodation allowance from the university. And the criteria are:
Undergraduate students (preparatory undergraduates), master’s students (general scholars): CNY 700/month
Doctoral students (senior scholars): CNY 1000/month
●Living allowance. The criteria are:
Undergraduate students: CNY 2,500/month
Master’s students and general scholars: CNY 3,000/month
Doctoral students and senior scholars: CNY 3,500/month
The living allowance is granted by the university on a monthly basis. The students who are enrolled before (or on) the 15th of the admission month, are entitled to the full allowance of that month. The students, who are enrolled after the 15th of that month, are only entitled to half of the allowance; the living allowance for the month of graduation will be granted for the half month upon confirming the graduation status by the university; during the study, for any student who is absent from China due to personal reasons for more than 15 days (excluding legal holidays), the living allowance will be suspended during the absence.
●Comprehensive medical insurance (please refer to “Brief Introduction and Claims Guidance of the Comprehensive Medical Insurance for Overseas Students in China” for insurance coverage and claim procedures from the website: http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua or http://www.campuschina.org.
2. Partial scholarship
It consists of one or several items of the full scholarship.
1. Must be a citizen of a country other than the People’s Republic of China and be in good health;
2. The requirements on education background and age:
●Any applicant for a bachelor’s degree must be a high school graduate under (or at) the age of 25,with excellent academic performances;
●Any applicant for a master’s degree must be a bachelor’s degree holder under (or at) the age of 35;
●Any applicant for a doctoral degree must be a master’s degree holder under (or at) the age of 40;
●Any applicant as a senior scholar must be under (or at) the age of 50 and have a degree of master or above, or have a title of associate professor or above.
V. Application Materials
1. Application Form for Chinese Government’s Scholarship (in Chinese or English)
You should register at the CSC Online Application System for International Students and submit application information. After submission of the information, please print a copy of Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship generated automatically by the system, affix you own signature and photo (size: 35mmx45mm); the website for online application is: http://laihua.csc.edu.cn; and the code of the agency handling online application is 10610;
2. Notarized highest diploma. In case of a currently enrolled student, you must submit a certificate issued by your current school to prove your current student status. Any text prepared in any language other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English;
3. Academic transcripts. Any text prepared in any language other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English;
4. A Study Plan or Research Proposal written in Chinese or English (not less than 800 Chinese characters/words);
5. Reference letters. Reference letters in Chinese or English by two professors or associate professors;
6. A CD of your own works. Any applicant for music major is required to submit a CD containing your own works; any applicant for fine arts is required to submit a CD containing two sketches, two color paintings and two other works drawn by the applicant;
7．《外国人体格检查表》复印件。登录国家留学基金委网站http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua 或 http://www.campuschina.org 下载，英文填写。申请人应严格按照《外国人体格检查表》中要求的项目进行检查。缺项、未贴本人照片或照片上未盖骑缝章、无医师和医院签字盖章的《外国人体格检查表》无效。检查结果有效期为6个月；
7. A Copy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Download the form from the China Scholarship Council’s website: http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua or http://www.campuschina.org, and fill it in English. The applicant should go through physical examination in strict accordance with the items required in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. The Form will be considered as invalid in case of incomplete forms, or forms without a sealed photo of the applicant, or the signature of the attending physician, or the official stamp of the hospital. And the examination result will be valid for six months;
8. A copy of HSK Score Report (if available). Please attach a copy of the report with the application materials;
9. A copy of passport.
For more information, please refer to the China Scholarship Council’s website